Saturday, August 20, 2016

Gifts From The Sea: Collecting Beach Stones and Pebbles

Each year when I visit the beach (usually Cape May, New Jersey and every few years Assateague Island, Virginia) one of my favorite things to do is walk the beach and look for unique and unusual stones and pebbles. 

I even like the word pebble - it has a soft, gentle sound that's calming. There's nothing harsh, loud or brash about the quiet pebble. 

My daughters and I stroll the shoreline, picking a few out of the sand as we walk, collecting a handful or two of favorites. Suddenly they're not just pebbles, but treasures. 

My eyes search for unusual shaped and textured stones, and I sometimes I get lucky and find a small piece of petrified wood, volcanic rock, or fossilized coral.

But I think my favorites are the plain white, completely smooth oval and egg shaped ones. They're soothing to hold and turn over in my hand and they make my fingers happy. They're truly a gift from the sea, and for that I'm so grateful.



I hope you have a great week! 
Love, 
Laura


My broken china jewelry is always available for purchase at https://www.etsy.com/shop/dishfunctionldesigns


article and images ©Laura Beth Love 2016